Socrates described education long ago as “the kindling of a flame, not the filling of a vessel,” and it holds just as true today because educators help students find and ignite their passions, not simply fill their head with knowledge. Therefore, it’s that time of year again to nominate learning support staff with a passion and love for helping others learn, the annual Tutor of the Year award with an addition.
In the past, this recognition has been given to peer or student staff members; however, starting with our 20th anniversary, we will be leaving behind a legacy to recognize both our student and professional staff members that are passionate about “kindling the flames” of their students while doing the same for themselves.
Each winner will receive a prize of $250 to use for educational and professional development expenses; the GaTA website will also showcase the winners after they have been announced during the annual GaTA virtual conference on October 20th which marks GaTA’s 20th anniversary. Recognition and appreciation must be given within a community before those outside of it will follow suit, so let’s pave the way together!
- Currently be a tutor (peer/student or professional) at an accredited institution
- Have at least one year of tutoring experience
- Attend the 2022 conference
- Create a short video (described below)
- Peer/student tutors must also have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or better
- Professional tutors cannot be an administrator within their center
How to Nominate:
To nominate a peer/student or professional tutor for these awards, please submit the following items using the Google Form below:
- A a written statement of no more than 500 words giving details of why this nominee should be considered as one the 2022 Tutor of the Year (TOY) Award recipients.
- A 1-2 minute video of the nominee answering the question: What does tutoring/learning support mean to you?
Important Dates to Remember: Nominations will be accepted through 5 pm on Friday, October 7th, 2022. Videos must be received by 5pm Friday, October 14, 2022.
Video files are best accepted as a Google Drive link but can also be sent to the board via firstname.lastname@example.org if you encounter tech issues.